Where does the address information come from?
The address data we use to to build and provide the Addressfinder service comes from five different sources:
- The New Zealand Post Postal Address File (PAF). From the PAF we collect all New Zealand addresses to which New Zealand Post deliver mail. This also includes urban business and residential addresses, rural addresses and PO Box type addresses.
- The NZ Addresses dataset owned, maintained and supplied by Toitū Te Whenua Land Information New Zealand, and contain addresses for all New Zealand properties.
- Census data from Statistics NZ from which the meshblock associated with each address is obtained.
- The NZ Localities dataset owned, maintained and supplied by the New Zealand Fire Service, which defines city and suburb boundaries.
- Addressfinder customers and the general public who submit addresses directly to us. These are typically new addresses which are yet to appear in the official sources. These addresses are verified by Addressfinder staff prior to being included in the dataset.